1 Tablespoon water
½ cup butter (1 stick)
½ cup brown sugar
3 – 4 large firm baking apples, cored & sliced thin (leave skin on)
12 ounces cream cheese, cubed
12 slices firm white bread, cut in half (crusts removed optional)
1 quart (4 cups) milk
2 Tablespoons vanilla extract Cinnamon to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Set oven rack in lower third of oven.
2. Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan – set aside.
3. In a skillet, melt the butter with brown sugar and water. Add the apples and cook stirring for two to three minutes. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and let cool.
4. Arrange the cubed cream cheese evenly over the apples. Layer the sliced bread over the cream cheese and apples to cover the entire dish.
5 . In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, taking care to soak all of the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
6. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden and puffed. Let cool 10 minutes before serving. Serves
NOTE: Casserole can be prepared for baking the night before – wrap well and place in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.