From the kitchen of Craig Deihl, Executive Chef, Cypress. (Serves 4 - 6)
3-4 pounds fresh cut pork knuckle, boneless
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt
6 Tbsp pink salt, cure #1
2 gallons water
4 sprigs thyme
4 sprigs sage
1 Tbsp crushed red pepper
- Combine all ingredients except meat and bring to a boil. (Chef's notes on quickness: If you do not have enough time to chill the brine overnight, bring one gallon of water and spices to a boil. Remove from heat and add one gallon of ice water.)
- After brine is chilled, place with meat in a container large enough to hold both.
- Place in the refrigerator for 10 days.
- On the 10th day, remove from liquid, rinse and pat dry.
- Smoke at 200-220° until internal temperature of 145° is reached.