According to the Women's Brain Health Initiative, almost 70% of new Alzheimer's sufferers will be women. Evidence suggests that the "use it or lose it" philosophy applies to brain function. Try these mentally stimulating exercises daily to help reduce the risk of cognitive decline and related diseases:
1. Engage in good conversation talking about thought provoking topics.
2. Read a good book stimulating your imagination.
3. Play "old school" games like puzzles, chess or cryptograms.
4. Work with numbers; put down the calculator.
5. Keep learning - practice a new language, subscribe to a word of the day newsletter, engage in history or take an art class.
And as with any system in your body, proper nutrition, adequate sleep, and regular exercise are essential for good brain and overall health.